MILE OAK

REVISITED

PORTSLADE - 1912

LCC or Mile Oak Approved School was  built in 1902 and run by a joint committee from Brighton Borough Council and London County Council Education Committee until 1913

Before 1933 approved schools were called reformatories or industrial schools

This picture shows the rifle range and ‘Thunders Barrow’ where British, Roman and Saxon Pottery was found.

The Butts/Target area of the rifle range was a long concrete trough deep enough for a man to stand and raise or lower the targets, whilst this trough still exists it has now been filled in.

Photo - Bernard Langrish

Portslade 1912