We then come to the ‘hole in the wall’ which was just a missing section of flint wall - the balance of which I believe is still standing. From the ‘hole in the wall’ was an unmade path that led down to the bottom of Foxhunters/Beechers.  Originally there was a large air raid shelter, on the site of the Paddocks, which I cannot remember ever being used. Over the wall in the Paddocks was an eight bedroom mansion which all of us boys used to play in - the mansion was pulled down by the Canadian Troops for safety. They brought a tank in to demolish it. There were also tennis courts that once belonged to the Paddocks when it was thriving.

Moving further north you would come to the small row of shops - grocer, greengrocer, post office,  and  a fish & chip shop, you went down two steps to more shops that were empty for years.  Opposite these shops there used to be a building used as a theatrical store and prior to that used as a pickle factory. The area behind this building is what we all knew as the Paddocks (not specifically correct) and where on November 5th there were extremely large bonfires.

As you moved north there was Sefton Road on your right, a nursery on your left selling flowers and further on Wrappsons Nursery with Chrisdory Road on your right. Once past Chrisdory Road you were out in the country with a few scattered houses on the left and then the pig farm with a path running up the side of it to the downs, round the corner were two more houses and a timber house on the right.  Next came the waterworks with a footpath just to the south of it which led up to the reservoir and the dew pond.  Then lastly was Mile Oak Farm, once past that you were in open country where you could walk (if keen) to the Dyke or Fulking.

An item of interest was the bomber crash landing in 1944, it is believed to be a USA Air Force Flying Fortress B17 or B24 Liberator. The bomber was returning from a sortie to Germany and was riddled with bullet holes. It just missed the girls school and landed just short of the trees at the bottom of Stanley Avenue. The crew were all OK and were taken to Porstlade Police Station, before they could put an armed guard on the plan certain boys entered the plane and obtained various souvenirs.

    If anybody can add further details to this page please let us know



Journey to Mile Oak Memories - 1