MILE OAK

REVISITED

Foredown Tower - the old water tower of the isolation hospital was built in 1909 - a view that most of us will remember.

The brick walls were upto 33” thick and had to support a weight of 156 tons of water when the tank was full. The cast iron tank was made by J.Every of Lewes.

The old water tower as it now is - the tank was extended in height to form a ‘Camera Obscura’

It was opened to the public by Hove Borough Council on the 13th July 1991

St. Nicolas Church to which the Church of the Good Shepherd was part of the parish.

The Church of the Good Shepherd later became a parish in its own right.

OLD VILLAGE, PORTSLADE - 2

Old Village - 1 Old Village - 3